Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Our "Raw" Truth

The past couple of weeks have been a roller coster of emotions for me, as I have been debating on this Raw Milk thing. It's crazy, how decisions, beliefs, and concepts are put to the test when you have your own children. You think you have your mind made up and then... it's your own children at stake and suddenly you are rethinking EVERYTHING. When will my head stop spinning and is this normal? I hope that it's normal and common, for new parents, if it isn't, there are much bigger problems than rather or not to go Raw, or Pasteurized.

Goat Milk that is.

My girls were born very early and for those of you that don't know, the digestive system is one of the last things to fully develop. Long story short- they have been spitting up their entire life. I am not talking a little spit here and there, but massive amounts on a daily basis. Somedays are better than others, but nonetheless, our rugs and carpet are ruined.

I have taken them to the doctor about his issue, a few times, to hear nothing but "They are just spitting babies." Of course, they want to put them on Acid Reflux medicine and if you know me, you probably know it would be a cold day in h*ll, before I would knowingly and willingly place toxic chemicals/heavy metals into my infants. Especially, when they are thriving, aside from the spitting. Aside from meds, we tried many formula's (except soy- not a believer in soy as a healthy alternative) and nothing worked.

I had heard of infants being given raw goat milk, but to be honest, I was a little skeptical. I consider myself pretty informed, when it comes to nutrition and such, but I had never looked into raw milk. So, what did I do? Well, I was sick of seeing my babies puke all the time and worried that they may/may not be getting the nutrition they need for brain development/physical development (not that formula and the gross stuff they are made of is that nutritious anyway... but I didn't know of a better option), so I did what I always do and researched the heck out of it.

I learned the in's and out's of raw milk properties and how to get the good stuff. It basically comes down to what the goat's/cow's are fed (grass, leaves, weeds, and NO GMO's) , how the farmers do their jobs, packaging/handling, and most importantly- as close to organic as you can get.

In my research, I learned that raw goat milk is the next best thing to human milk, when it comes to digestion (20 mins to digest!)  and nutrition. I also learned that you have to add a few things to the raw milk, to make it comparable to the nutrition of breast milk/formula, for the first year.

Great recipe for raw goat milk formula:

https://to.www.westonaprice.org/childrens-health/319-recipes-for-homemade-baby-formula.html#vgmf



Here are some GREAT links on raw milk/ where to find it and what to look for when choosing your farm:
http://www.raw-milk-facts.com/
http://www.roseofsharonacres.com/raw_goat_milk_benefits (scroll down on this page to the chart that compares breast milk to goat milk, awesome!)

Where can you find raw milk? This website will tell you where to find it in your area, but ALWAYS research the farm/supplier for yourself.

http://www.realmilk.com/where2.html




Careful not to be mislead by uninformed people. Raw milk can be REALLY bad news, as with any pasteurized milk product. You can get very sick from raw milk, if the cow/goat is carrying an illness or bad bacteria that is not treated or acknowledged. With that said, cow's and goat's are not made to carry these illnesses, actually, their body's are made to NOT carry them. Learn and understand how/when the mass production of food/dairy created sick animals, therefore sick people.


Needless to say, the twins are thriving on raw goat milk. They are spitting up very little, almost not at all. It has made our life with them, so much more enjoyable.

As with anything I research, I never take anybody's word- I learn the facts myself. So, don't take my word for it either:) This blog is for informational and recreational purposes only;)

Yet again, listening to my gut feeling, questioning the doctors, researching the facts, and continuing to follow my own truth, has lead my family to a place of peace and wellness. I hope you too can enjoy the benefits of feeding your family, one of the most nutritional and healing foods on Earth. Raw Milk. 

2 comments:

  1. I`m Ryan`s mom. You have such adorable girls!!! I enjoyed your article. I am a RN in Labor, delivery and postpartum. I`m also a advocate of breastfeeding and nursed all 10 of my babies. My 7th baby girl was born a month early and because of my health, only had breast milk for 5 weeks. She did not tolerate formula, became very constipated etc.. so I cooked brown rice and squeezed the rice milk out through a cheese cloth and then added a little brown rice syrup and a little soy so she would drink it. She thrived and starting pooping again. It wasn`t easy but mothers will do anything it takes to help there babies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Linda! That is amazing! That is A LOT of work. Good for you and how clever to know that rice milk would do the job. Danielle actually mentioned rice milk. Just another great option for babies that cannot bf, instead of or supplemented with formula:) Thanks for the comment:)

    ReplyDelete